Thursday, January 20, 2011

TRON: Legacy

I've been looking forward to this film for a long time but didn't manage to find the time to see it until today. I was motivated by multiple reasons but the primary one of course was the fact that it won't be in the cinema for much longer. I wanted to make sure I saw it in it's proper 3D form. I know that 3D is not for everyone but personally I like it. Although I should say I only bother with it on films that were planned and filmed in 3D from the start. Those that were converted in post-production just don't have the appeal to me, they give the impression of the studio jumping on the bandwagon rather than the director making an artistic decision. I've seen three modern 3D films, Avatar of course along with Toy Story 3 and now TRON: Legacy. They've all looked fantastic to me.

The film itself was great too, pretty much everything I could have hoped for in a modern Tron sequel. They dealt with the reality of how much technology has changed since 1982 very well. The grid itself looked wonderful. While it may not be cutting edge anymore, as computers can pretty much render anything now given enough time, it was top quality work. Jeff Bridges was great in multiple yet different roles and Garrett Hedlund did a good job as Flynn's son. Despite her high billing it felt like Olivia Wilde didn't get a lot of screen time but what she had was fine and most importantly she didn't remind me of "Thirteen". The Babylon 5 fan in me wanted to see more of Bruce Boxleitner but I guess it would have cost too much to computer generate a young version of both Bridges and Boxleitner throughout the entire film. That will have to wait for another sequel (fingers crossed). Daft Punk's soundtrack fitted the world perfectly and sounded awesome, I think I'm going to have to buy that CD now.

1 comment:

  1. Another great review - you're very good at these. I'm so glad you enjoyed it, and also got the chance to see it in the cinema. I didn't know Garret Hedlund was in it, I may have to watch this now. (He was Patroclus in 'Troy'.)

    ReplyDelete