Saturday, January 22, 2011

Starship Troopers

I've loved Paul Verhoeven's 1997 film version of this for a long time, so when the book popped in my my Amazon recommendations while I was trying to decide what to read it seemed like an obvious choice. Robert A. Heinlein is not a name I've been familiar with until now. A bit of research shows his body of work is not particularly huge and that he died in 1989. However Starship Troopers did win a Hugo award for best novel in 1960. I suppose this is often the case with books made into films but my first thoughts were about how different the book is to the film. Certain elements are there and the themes are the same but they are very different approaches to the subject. The subject is why a man would choose to fight. Unlike the film much of the story takes place in the classroom rather than on the battlefield but it still manages to be interesting as it's full of thought provoking ideas and concepts. Overall I enjoyed it and would recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment