Saturday, January 1, 2011

Moments of Gaming (December 2010)

While not the greatest I'm quite pleased with the result this month. The footage was a bit of a strange mix, partly due to the Steam treasure hunt, but I had lots from Fallout: New Vegas and Dragon Age which I could put the odd ones in between. I had quite a lot of footage from the various puzzle type games a lot of which I didn't use in the end. As usual the biggest problem was choosing the music to use. I almost went with some funky electro-jazz but eventually decided that wouldn't fit with the footage I had this month. So instead I went with a more typical experimental metal. I like many different styles of music but something about a widdly guitar always seems to end up on top of the list.

There was one minor pitfall. It seems I've used too much of the Left 4 Dead 2 intro movie in one go without edits and IMG Media UK/EA have made an auto copyright claim. I didn't know You Tube were checking visual content now as well as audio. I'll have to watch out for that in the future or I'll have to stop all together. It means that the video has been blocked in all countries except the UK and the US (I guess we've got the least strict fair use laws or something). That's a bit of a shame but the stats on my other videos show the majority of viewers are from the US. I'm afraid the few Russians and Australians will miss out though, sorry. It's too late to be worth editing now especially as we're talking less than 100 viewers worldwide anyway.

One final warning. This is mainly addressed to Fiona13 my one commenter. It may apply to others but I don't know you. There's been violence and death in all the previous videos but thanks to Left 4 Dead and Left 4 Dead 2 some parts of this one are a bit more graphic than before (zombie headshots).

View the video here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZ1BUHuQna8

2 comments:

  1. Right, so Youtube now has a way of detecting if too much copyright footage is included unedited? That must be very picky, as your whole movie is only about ten minutes long! How much is too long for them, ten seconds!!
    I'm sorry to hear it resulted in restricted distribution.
    I'm glad I could see it though - and thanks for the warning about the zombies! - I enjoyed it just as much as usual, I thought it was good with a nice mix and variety. The music seemed like a great choice to me, three ( I think) different pieces in the same style worked well, and I thought the pacing and editing were particularly strong, very smooth indeed. Lovely work, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. Technically there are only two tracks (by the same person) but the second has a break in it which makes it sound like two. I don't actually know what the fair use laws are when it comes to video game footage (I suppose I should look) but I guess if someone makes a claim then any footage at all it too much.

    ReplyDelete