Thursday, January 13, 2011

IPv6 Day

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-12183098

I've known this has been coming for a while but I'm not looking forward to it. As a server admin looking after many servers and thousands of domain names I imagine that I'll have a few troubles once this starts getting a proper amount of public usage. Domain records will need to be updated and software will need to change as new servers won't have IPv4 addresses anymore. However I suppose that as the article suggests large hosts should make an effort to prepare in advance. Unfortunately the test they link to shows that my ISP connection is not IPv6 ready yet, not the best of starts! Interesting times for the backbone of the Internet, things could go pretty drastically wrong if not handled correctly. Sorry for the technical post, probably a bit boring if you're not a server admin.

1 comment:

  1. I can see why you'd be worried. Google will be all right, and Mrs Bloggs at home surfing the 'net will be all right, but you medium-sized guys I can see having all the problems. At least it's still a while off. (But don't forget that if client-related issues gobble up lots of your time, you can charge us for it, you know - this change is external, it's not your fault.)

    ReplyDelete