Sunday, January 2, 2011

Civilization

Now in board game form! I had no idea this existed until earlier today but I found out by being invited by a friend to play a game. It was of course one of his Christmas presents so none of us had played it before. That made it a little slow to start with but it didn't take too long to figure it all out. There are a lot of tokens and counters and lots of rules to think about, it's not what I'd call a basic game. It actually feels a lot like the computer version, as much as a simplified tabletop version can. Most importantly fun was had. I didn't win, but came quite close.

3 comments:

  1. That does look a bit complicated! But I am sure you expert gamers soon got your heads round it, though I can think of quite a few people who wouldn't...
    Needed you last night - d'you remember a game called Kingmaker? I had people round to play games - Matt and Jude - and they raided my cupboard choosing what to play. They fancied Kingmaker but I couldn't remember how to play it, only that you were the only one who could figure it out! But we did manage to play Perudo, also Pass the Bomb and Scrabble. Victories were Matt 2, Jude 1, Andrew 0, me 0, which disguises the fact that I was a sorry last in every case. Glad to hear you came closer than that with Civilisation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I remember Kingmaker, although not the rules! I'd guess it's been around 15 years since I played? How'd Perudo go? (I know that one is new to you :D)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perudo went well, everyone picked it up quite quickly, and we had several moments of joint astonishment when a table of say, 19 dice revealed about 8 sixes! I did several rash and very wrong guesses, and was beginning to get my head round when to bluff. The others were more cautious and did loads better. Great fun was had by all - good choice, lovely present, and I'm looking forward to being able to play it with you.

    ReplyDelete