Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Nominations

The nominations for this year's Oscars have been released today and as usual there are many films which I haven't even seen. Of the 10 nominations for Best Picture I've only seen two so far, Inception & Toy Story 3. From those two I'd probably pick Inception until I watch some of the others, which I am planning to do at some point. Some people have been expressing disappointment that Christopher Nolan didn't get a Best Director nomination for Inception, but he is up for Best Picture & Original Screenplay while the film itself is up for Original Score, Sound Mixing, Sound Editing & Visual Effects so it's not all bad. It's interesting to see that Toy Story 3 is actually up for Best Picture and not just saved for Best Animated Feature (which it's up for too). TRON: Legacy is up for Sound Editing but not for Visual Effects which I find a bit odd. Overall The King's Speech has the most nominations so I guess that's the favorite. I'm sure it's quite good and I'll probably see it one day, but I just can't get excited about period drama. Of the other favorites True Grit and The Fighter have yet to even be released in the UK and Black Swan has only been here for a week, so not much chance for me to have seen those.

1 comment:

  1. That is 2 more than I have seen - was hoping 'The Way Back' might get a nomination, but not so. But don't you think that nominations and awards go the people who are in the loop? It sounds as though Christopher Nolan is too much his own man to fit into the mould.

    ReplyDelete