Saturday, March 27, 2010

Wolves at the Gate

I figured a Buffy comic titled Wolves at the Gate would be a werewolf story. I was wrong! Five more issues are collected in volume three of Buffy season eight, another one-shot by Joss and the four part Wolves at the Gate by Drew Goddard. I guess what people like to read is subjective but Drew Goddard is in the "Writers of stuff I like" group, having worked on Buffy, Angel, Lost & Cloverfield. He obviously knows the Buffy universe well and it shows with the perfect balance of humour, action and drama. Dracula is back, but is a bit of a shut-in after his last encounter with Buffy. Of course now they need to team up to fight some vampires with similar transformation abilities. They're the wolves! Giant Dawn verses Mecha-Dawn, genius! However I guess the most important part that will be remembered is the big reveal about Buffy. I recall there was some outrage in the fandom when this was first published. Now I've read it myself I don't see the problem. It felt perfectly reasonable to me that Buffy could be gay, seemed like a natural progression. It's not like she's even sure herself, at least at this point in the story. Overall, brilliant! On to the next volume...

2 comments:

  1. Sorry to be so ignorant, but I see you have a lot of posts about Buffy, so I want to understand - these comic books are a continuation of the story from the TV show, is that right?
    If some Buffy fans were outraged that Buffy could be gay they should try my fandoms heh heh

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes these are an offical continuation of the tv series which I've been reading recently, you'll see them referred to as Season 8. It's being organized by Joss Whedon and involves many of the same writers.

    ReplyDelete