Monday, March 29, 2010

End of an Era

I don't own a lot of concert videos. I have to really like the band or they have to put on an excellent show for me to consider it usually. It was admittedly a bit of an impulse but in my last Amazon order of the Buffy books I also picked up two new Blu-ray disks. One was Jennifer's Body which I've not watched yet and the other was Nightwish: End of an Era. Nightwish fall into the category of bands I like and bands that put on a good show. They're not a band I've seen live in person before and of course it's unlikely that there'll ever be another chance to see them with Tarja Turunen. Anette Olzon is pretty good but I don't think she has the power or the range that Tarja does which makes the Nightwish sound different these days. I don't know the history exactly but I presume from the title that this ended up being Tarja's last show with the band. The sound and picture are awesome, though you'd expect that from a recentish production on a high definition disk. The band's performance is top notch too, must have been a great gig to be at and the playlist includes most of my favorites too. Here's a few You Tube examples from the gig:
Dark Chest of Wonders
Wishmaster
Over the Hills and Far Away
Wish I Had an Angel

No comments:

Post a Comment