Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Sim City

I'm not sure what happened but I suddenly felt the urge to play Sim City so I grabbed my discs and reinstalled Sim City 4. Although Sim City 2000 is without a doubt the greatest installment in the series I remember enjoying Sim City 4 when it first came out. Unfortunatly this game does not seem to have aged well. The interface feels very out of date, no smooth scrolling and slow detail level updates. The game doesn't seem to be able to make any use of a faster computer to improve performance. With a bit a of research it seems I need a patch, I'll have to give that a try later on or maybe see if I've still got a copy of Sim City 2000 lying around.

Edit to add: Patch did help performance a little, but also made the game crash. My first Blue Screen of Death with Windows 7 in fact! Crash could have been unrelated to the patch but you can never know for sure with these things. Either way my random need for some Sim City has mostly gone now.

No comments:

Post a Comment