Friday, March 26, 2010

I want to be a cyborg!

The idea of technological implants and augments to the body is something I've always had some interest in. It probably started in my teens when I used to play a lot of the Cyberpunk 2020 role-playing game. That's only ten years away now! It'll probably still be a while before I've got buttons on my arm controlling display overlays directly to my cornea (with additional myopia correction of course!). Anyway I recently realized we weren't quite a far away from that as I thought. First I saw this video from TEDMED Eric Topol: The wireless future of medicine which particularly interested me. As someone with type 1 diabetes the idea of continuous glucose monitoring (CGM) sounds like a great idea. I meant to do more research on that at the time but must have been distracted by something as I never did. Then today I saw this in the news, Sensors turn skin into gadget control pad, which sounds like another great step forward, have a look at the video on that page. That reminded me of my previous thoughts so I did some more research and found that The Guardian REAL-Time Continuous Glucose Monitoring System (that's what the picture is) is available here in the UK. So I'm going to see about trying one and will be asking my GP about it soon. On a completely unrelated note I caved and ordered the next four volumes of Buffy season 8, so that will probably be what my next post is about!

1 comment:

  1. I like you so much as you are, I am not very comfortable with the idea of you as a cyborg. Is a bit too like cybermen, ie inhuman, machine-like.
    However, from your point of view, I can see where you're coming from, and it is kind of exciting that elements are becoming a reality. Especially CGM - I read about that in my newspaper - interested to hear what your GP says about it. Someone's got to be the first to try it - strong young man with desire to be cyborg probably prime candidate...

    ReplyDelete