Sunday, September 25, 2011

New Camera Love

I'm really loving my new camera. I was lucky that the failure of my old camera coincided with a big business payment. My old Canon Ixus 80 was no more, but it was over three years old and had taken 1599 pictures. Part of me wishes there had been time for just one more but that's not really important. The Ixus 80 isn't in production anymore so I started looking at alternatives. The replacement model was the Ixus 110 which seemed nice but I decided to look for something with some more advanced features. After a brief look at other manufacturers I decided to stick with Canon as the previous one had done so well for me. The final choice became the Ixus 220HS in matte black. Also as a bonus they appear to use the same battery type, so now I have a spare.

It switches on fast, has a large screen, takes 12MP photos and records 1080p video. There are many lens and filter options including tilt shift, fast captures and slow motion. I've been enjoying playing with it so far. I'm sure some things will loose their novelty but I've always been a fan of the tilt shift effect, which makes things look miniature. Generally it takes great photos with very little effort but gives you full control of a wide variety of options for those special times you need to do something different.

Obviously the first thing I did was to take a bunch of photos in and around my flat. You can see that gallery here:
https://picasaweb.google.com/109346954490780957269/20110923

The next test was to see how well the 1080p video recording worked and how well You tube could cope with it, you can see that here if you're interested:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6X2X5LoodvQ

Finally there are two videos of testing the slow motion recording feature. One of coffee and the other of a lighter:
Slomo Coffee & Slomo Zippo

1 comment:

  1. Very nice photos, you have used a wide range of effects there, haven't you? I liked the ones where you made the block of flats opposite look like a scale model.
    You have some nice autumn colours coming out, too.
    Looks like a splendid camera, I hope you have lots of fun with it.

    ReplyDelete