Thursday, September 15, 2011

The Blessing

And so the Miracle is over and the latest series of Torchwood is at an end. Now that the series is finished I'm not really sure what to say about it. As it's been showing I've enjoyed each episode but now as a whole I'm less sure. It started of very slowly with some interesting questions about life and death. The world's response to that was bad so the Torchwood team needed to fix it. There was a lot of investigating but it took a long time to get anywhere. It was like a long discussion on the effects of immortality but without a solid conclusion. We get The Blessing as the MacGuffin cause but we never really get to know what it is, other than a hole in the ground. To me it didn't feel like an end to the same series, especially after they pulled the "three months later" trick two episodes before the end. There were moments that felt a little convenient for plot's sake. Still overall way above average. I did like how international they made it feel. For much of Torchwood before it only felt like Wales was in danger, which isn't very troubling. Here they really did make it feel like a global problem with multiple locations around the world. Of course I know they didn't actually film in a lot of those places but it works. I wonder what's next for Torchwood? They're left a few plot threads open but not many clues. Also if I remember correctly the producers have said this is not going to be something they do on a regular basis but irregular specials instead.

1 comment:

  1. ROTFL at it not being too troubling at Wales being in danger! Although I have not seen this series I have heard so much about it that it feels as if I have, so it was very interesting to read your overview, thanks.

    ReplyDelete