Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Leaves' Eyes - Njord

I had not previously heard of this band. Amazon recommended it to me because I'd previously bought the latest Within Temptation album. My new camera unexpectedly came with a £10 Amazon MP3 voucher. The descriptions and reviews of this album sounded good so I added it to my basket along with the new Opeth album. Opeth I'll talk about tomorrow, today we have Njord by Leaves' Eyes.

It feels to me like in recent years female fronted symphonic metal has become much more popular. The first time I ever remember hearing it was with Nightwish. Did their success make the genre more well known? Or were they just my introduction to the genre? I don't know the answer to that. I do know that it's a style I enjoy. In addition to Nightwish and Within Temptation as already mentioned there are other examples such as Epica or Lacuna Coil. Leaves' Eyes are another good one to add to that list. As Amazon suggested they are very similar in style to Within Temptation and there are some very good track on the album. Yet as I write this, the day after listening to it, I don't actually remember any specific details. I'll have to listen again and get to know it, but no instant classics.

No comments:

Post a Comment