Monday, September 12, 2011

Completed: Dawn of War II

I loved the first Dawn of War game and played a lot. Unfortunately Dawn of War II never really clicked for me even though I really wanted it to. The game became part of the trend which is removing base building from RTS games and because of that it just didn't feel the same. I was probably busy playing perhaps Fallout 3 or Neverwinter Nights 2 when it was first release and so I never gave it much of a chance.

Recently I decided I should give it another look as I do like that universe and some of the Dawn of War III news seems interesting. I've been making my way through the single player story campaign. There's not really much point trying to get in to the multiplayer scene for a two year old game which isn't your favorite.

It played well and looked good. The story was reasonably interesting and the mission objectives varied quite nicely. I quite liked the RPG elements introduced with your units gaining persistent experience from mission to mission. However I still miss the base building aspect, it's a corner stone of the genre to me.

Overall it was a nice campaign which I'm glad I found time to finally play even if it wasn't the greatest. It's one of those "things you think you should have done" items off the list. I'll probably still have a quick look at the expansions too.

No comments:

Post a Comment