Monday, December 20, 2010

It Eludes Me

The Christmas spirit that is. Maybe it's all the postal delays and snow related hassles. Maybe it's the fact that I'm behind on a lot of my work. Maybe I'm just tired. I still haven't caught the Christmas spirit. I've bought presents (bar one) and written cards but that didn't help. I don't know why but it just doesn't feel right this year. Like it's rapidly approaching but I'm not ready for it. Perhaps that will change when I get out of Sheffield for a few days, that is of course if the snow lets me.

1 comment:

  1. I totally sympathise. It happens like that some years. I think you do have to be ready, or at least on top of things in your life, to be able to enjoy that sense of anticipation that is such a big part of the Christmas spirit. So I think you're right in thinking it might be because you feel behind in your work. And the snow doesn't help - it's like we're trying to cope with December and January at the same time. And hassle certainly doesn't help - we've not got snow-related ones here, but we've definitely had a lot of domestic ones, one thing after another breaking down or causing problems. It's like Christmas is this awful deadline, that we all have to be ready for, and it causes a lot of stress. We have a certain amount of things in our heads that we need to do before Christmas, and then we worry about how we're going to get them all done. The thing is, some years, we just don't. But the good news is, once you get to Christmas Eve, a strange sort of peace descends, and you realise that Christmas is only a couple of days, after all, and it will all be there to come back to, and it wasn't that urgent to do it after all. So you just close the door on it, and relax, then. This is my experience, anyway!

    ReplyDelete