Thursday, December 23, 2010

First Impressions: Sonic Colours

I've been a bit of a Sonic fan from the beginning. I've played and re-played the first three games many times over the years first on the MegaDrive then later on emulators. So when I was looking for new DS games recently the new Sonic Colours seemed like a good choice. I've not played it a lot yet but what I have played was not as good as I'd have hoped. There is way more story than there ever was in the originals, there's cutscenes and voiceovers. It takes a good five minutes before you can even get to the action, even longer it you do the tutorial too. Sonic has more advanced moves now than he did in a old days. Slides and wall jumping and things in addition to the standard run and jump. The levels look nice but one problem is that the action seems to arbitrarily swap between the two DS screens and you can never be sure when it's going to happen. It doesn't really flow very well. I guess that's just a DS issue and it wouldn't be that way in the Wii version. Also I know Sonic is all about speed but this feels like it's going too fast. There doesn't feel like there is chance to explore and of the alternative routes as by the time you noticed them they're long gone. On the grand scale of things it's not a bad game but to me there does seem to be a lot of wasted potential.

No comments:

Post a Comment