Thursday, December 30, 2010

The Golems of Amarak

This standalone story for Dragon Age is one I'd originally planned to play back in my Bioware month but in the end I didn't have enough time. I finally started playing this earlier in December but was then distracted by work and Christmas. Then this afternoon I decided I should get around to finishing it before I start thinking about a new Moments of Gaming video.


This story supposedly takes place after the events of Origins and Awakening but before Witch Hunt. However there is very little that actually ties it to any of the other storylines and so it could be at any time after you have first met the dwarves and sorted their king situation. As you'll know if you've read any of my other posts about Dragon Age, my character Marcus the Warrior went on the Witch Hunt before heading to the Deep Roads in search of Golems. Although it won't be the case for everyone that actually makes sense for this character as Morrigan refused his company at the end of Witch Hunt.


Unfortunately the main impression I've been left with after playing is that it was short, very short, even shorter than Witch Hunt. It basically only consists of two play areas. There are some fancy tricks in the main area which allows for multiple uses of the same place but it's not enough to consider it a whole separate section. I don't know exactly how long it took me to play as I did so in two separate sessions nearly a month apart, but I'd guess each session lasted less than an hour.

What was there was fun but it was not particularly deep or challenging. I'm glad I gave it a go, one last hurrah for Marcus before he has to retire to The Deep. There are no more adventures left for him to play, but I won't be rushing to play through it again with any of my other characters.

Of all the Dragon Age modules there are still a couple of variations of the the Origins and Awakening stories which I've not tried and one story which I've not touched at all yet, The Darkspawn Chronicles. It's only three months now until Dragon Age II arrives in March so I shall have to make a point to finish those first thing next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment