Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Xenogenesis

Along with the latest Angel comics there was also the latest from Astonishing X-Men, another series which I'd almost forgotten about due to the slow release schedule. Here we have unexpected mutant babies turning up in Africa which mean we have a Storm heavy story. I've never been all that keen on Storm so that's not a great start but there is still enough from the rest of the team so it doesn't lose me completely. The story is fine and is partly an extension of the previous volume but mostly stands alone. The one issue I had was with the art. Artists change and that's fine, if not expected in most comics. While the last three volumes (15 single issues) have all been written by Warren Ellis, each volume was drawn by a different person, in this case Kaare Andrews. As someone who can't draw it's hard to justify the criticisms. I wish I could draw that well. However I just don't think that exaggerated style works well for the X-Men, it just doesn't quite feel right to me. If you've been following the series there is no reason you shouldn't pick this up but if you're new this is not the place to start.

No comments:

Post a Comment