Saturday, February 5, 2011

Unstoppable

The final batch of comics in Joss Whedon and John Cassaday's run on Astonishing X-Men is a great conclusion. It gets to go somewhere the films could never take a mainstream audience and deals with alien planets and spaceships. I know (mainly from the cartoon version) that these things have always been part of the Marvel universe. However with the exception of Fantastic Four 2 it's a concept that has been largely left out of the film adaptations. When it comes to the comics this is the first one I've read that takes place away from Earth. There are prophecies and sacrifice but I won't spoil the plot. I guess most interested people will have already read them but I can't be the only one who is getting around to them late. It ends with a giant crossover issue featuring more Marvel heroes than I know the names of including Spiderman, Iron Man, The Fantastic Four and Storm is back too. So this story comes to an end and overall it's been excellent. Of course it's not the end of the Astonishing series, that continues with a new story written by Warren Ellis and drawn by Simone Bianchi. I'll talk about that tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment