Sunday, February 6, 2011

Ghost Box

A new story and a new location for the X-Men. They've got themselves a new base, this time in San Fransisco. After being called in to an investigation by the SFPD they find themselves travelling all around the world looking for clues which lead them in the end to a threat from a parallel world. Just like aliens, parallel dimensions area big thing in the Marvel universe but again left out of the film adaptations to try and keep the attention of a wider audience. I've always been a fan of alternate universes to I found this an interesting story. Although we don't actually see much from the alternate world it's just there is a threat from there. After reading the first 24 issues of Astonishing X-Men drawn by John Cassaday the first thing I noticed here was how different Simone Bianchi's drawing style is. It happens a lot I guess but I'm still fairly new to the world of actually reading comics. Dark Horse's old Buffy & Angel runs are the only long running series I've read the entirety of. So artist changes happen and it's fine once you've adjusted, it's just this one seemed particularly striking. Overall I liked the story but my favorite part was the four shorts at the end. These quick tales from alternate Earths are not constrained by continuity and could go to new places, a couple of which are quite dark. I look forward to reading the next one but unfortunately the paperback doesn't have a release date yet.

1 comment:

  1. You are reading a lot this year, and yes, I am sure comic books count, it looks like you will beat the number you read last year.
    I really admire how you can say why you like things, and compare with other things you have read and seen. A lovely mix of objectivity and personal reaction, too, the mark of a good reviewer.

    ReplyDelete