Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Moments of Gaming (January 2011)

The video turned out okay this month but not quite as well as I had hoped. I had footage from two and a half games. I say it like that because there was footage from two different Dragon Age modules, Awakening & The Darkspawn Chronicles. I decided early on to leave out The Darkspawn Chronicles as it was too similar to Awakening. If I'd had a few more games to break things up I might have considered it but I couldn't think of a way to include it this time. So that left me with Dragon Age: Awakening & Eve Online and the majority of the Eve footage was from the new character creation system. The plan from there was quite simple. I'd play the Dragon Age footage as chronologically as possible and split the scenes up with clips from Eve. I found some music which was all over the place (in a good way). I wanted something that had some quiet parts as a lot of RPG game play is dialogue and that can be tricky to fit over a music track, still I didn't use a lot in the end anyway. It started off quite well I thought but later I realised I'd got to the mid point of the music track and I'd barely used any of the Dragon Age footage, I was still in the opening section of the game. At that point I probably could have gone back and started again but I decided not to bother. That was only the first problem, getting towards the end I ran out of Eve footage to inter cut with. By that point it was definitely too late to go back to the beginning, these videos are not that important. So the video ends with me rushing through what Dragon Age footage I'd got left. Luckily the music trails off and slows down at the end so it almost makes sense, but I have to admit that was not intended. My two favorite/best videos have been where I had a theme in mind and choose the games on purpose rather than just making a video from whatever I felt like playing. I think I might have to try that again.

See what you think, view the video here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxpJLBc_Xes

1 comment:

  1. Well, I liked it. The music went well and didn't intrude or take over, and the character creation sequence was interesting and well interspersed with other shots. What is the name of this character?
    All the action shots were a nice contrast, and the beautiful spaceships created peaceful moments. It may not have worked out just how you were intending, but it was very nice to watch all the same.

    ReplyDelete