Thursday, February 17, 2011

Sanctum

My quest to see more films at the cinema continues and tonight's choice was Sanctum. Aside from the film itself this was an interesting experience in a different way. If you've been paying attention you might have noticed a fortnightly Thursday trend to these film posts but to keep that schedule I had to accept that I'd have to go alone sometimes. I mean you're only going to sit quietly in the dark and I have the Internet to share it with afterwards. So tonight I went alone but then on top of that I was the only one in that screen as well. I purposely pick quiet times to go but to be the only one in there was a little bit weird.

I have to say that if James Cameron wasn't involved as Executive Producer and it hadn't used the 3D techniques developed for Avatar I would have probably skipped this and waited for a DVD. Except for Cameron and actor Ioan Gruffudd I'd never heard of anyone else who worked on the film, not actors, the writers or the director. It has to be said that when a film is properly captured with 3D cameras rather then being converted in post-production they look so much better. The film looks great but there is not a lot more to it.

It's hard to decide what genre of film this is. It's not really action nor is it horror (unless you're claustrophobic). The best description I can come up with is survival drama. The story is simple and involves a group of explorers getting stuck in a flooded cave system. For the audience it's a guessing game. Who will die? Who will sacrifice themselves? Who will go crazy? Who will survive? Unfortunately the answers to those questions are generally the obvious ones.

1 comment:

  1. I think it's brilliant to make the effort to go to the cinema regularly, to support the films and enjoy a different experience. This was a strange experience, though, to be the only one there. I've been to the cinema on my own a few times, to catch something I really wanted to see, but never like this.
    I liked your analysis of what you saw, too, very good, and survival drama sounds like a good genre name to me.

    ReplyDelete