Friday, February 18, 2011

Diabetes & Android

When I was first diagnosed with type 1 diabetes one of the first things I was given was a diary to note down and keep track of my blood sugar test results. My first reaction to that was, this needs to be an online database! It took me a while to get around to it but I did eventually write such a website. Of course like many of my side projects it has never quite been completed. It is usable but there are many rough edges and so I have never opened it up to outside users. I am the lone user. Now is the time to change that. This is not the project I've been mentioning recently (that's a brand new one) but I decided I should finish off some of my older projects first. It is of course my fancy new Android phone which has triggered this plan. In addition to finishing off the website I'm also planning an Android app to go along with it. Sorry iPhone users but Apple charge $99 per year for the "privilege" of developing apps for their devices so I won't be doing that anytime soon. Admittedly Google charge too but it's only $25 one-off for an Android developer license. So right now I'm in the learning phase, finding out what there is to know about Android development. I've been churning out generic php websites for many years now it's been a long time since I learned anything new. I'm a bit rusty at this. There are some existing solutions out there but not very many and a lot of the software options are tied to a specific meter. Still I kinda want the satisfaction of using my own.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, that is very impressive indeed. Good for you, learning something new, and I bet you will soon get your head round all the possibilities and probably improve on them.
    You made me smile when you said that the first thing you thought when presented with your diary was, this needs to be an online database. Trust you!
    Seriously, though, even if this is not your big project, this is an excellent project, that has the potential to be really useful to people with diabetes, and well inside the aims of 'Awesome', I'd have said. This is using your talents to make the world better. Very good luck xx

    ReplyDelete