Sunday, July 4, 2010

Wolfenstein 3D

I'd like to thank Steam for an excellent summer sale and giving us gamers more reasons to avoid direct sunlight. I've picked up some nice bargains over the last two weeks, one of which was the iD Super Pack. This pack includes almost the entire iD Software back catalogue, featuring Wolfenstein, Hexen, Doom & Quake along will all the expansions and sequels. If you've watched Moments of Gaming you'll know I've been playing Wolfenstein 3D recently. The game is a classic in the history of PC games and is the oldest in the pack (not including Commander Keen). Although I understand it was not technically first, it was the first FPS game to be popular and is considered the origin of the genre. I decided I'd make my way through the pack in chronological order, it will take a while be it should be interesting. The sequel, Wolfenstein: Spear of Destiny, is one of the first games I remember playing on PC after my Spectrum & Amiga days. I'm not sure when I first played the original but it will have been later. The game is split into 5 chapters of 10 levels each and I just started chapter 2 yesterday. What surprised me was that it was completely unfamiliar. Zombie Nazis with guns in their chest! I'd remember those I think. It seems that even after all these years I've only ever played chapter 1 before. So an 18 year old game can still bring something new!

1 comment:

  1. Very pleased for you about the bargains! Not so pleased about the avoiding of direct sunlight! Bad weather and dark nights will be back soon enough, and outside there are trees, birds, trees, flowers, trees, pretty girls, trees...and did I mention trees?

    ReplyDelete