Thursday, July 22, 2010

The Beach

I have a bad habit of setting all sorts of films to record on my Sky+ box and then never getting around to watching them. Sometimes they're films I missed for some reason when they first came out and other times I've never heard of them and I was simply enticed by the title or perhaps the EPG description. This of course led to the situation I found myself in a few days ago, where the hard drive was full! I figured it was probably time to either watch or delete some things hence the more film oriented posts of the last few days.

Last nights film was The Beach, starring Leonardo DiCaprio and directed by Danny Boyle. It's tricky to look up DiCaprio at the moment and avoid spoilers for Inception, I must get out to see that soon. Danny Boyle on the other hand is someone I know a lot more about without looking him up. I've seen many of his films and enjoyed them all. Shallow Grave, Trainspotting, A Life Less Ordinary, 28 Days Later..., Sunshine & Slumdog Millionaire are all great films in my opinion and The Beach is one I'm happy to add to the list. Also after a quick look at IMDb I'm now looking forward to 127 Hours too.

I noticed a couple of IMDb reviews complaining that the film wasn't as good as the book but that's pretty typical of IMDb reviews and I've not read the book so it doesn't really matter much to me. As it is I enjoyed watching the film and there doesn't really need to be anything more to it than that. It had all the beats you need, questions & answers, adventure & excitement and highs & lows along with a satisfying ending.

No comments:

Post a Comment