Friday, July 30, 2010

Life In A Day

The people behind it describe it as a historic global experiment to create a user-generated documentary film shot in a single day. To be directed by Kevin Macdonald and executive produced by Ridley Scott it sounded like a very interesting project to me and an interesting way to use You Tube. I'll let the director himself explain:



July 24th for me was mostly about celebrating a friend's birthday but the majority of my footage ended up being taken from the bus while I was travelling. It feels pretty boring to me but I've done that journey many many times. I bet it doesn't get used but it was good to simply take part. My video is in two parts (thanks to the You Tube 10 minute limit) you can find them on my channel or directly here: Part 1 & Part 2. Beware it's raw unedited footage and might be a bit boring! I don't envy the editing team's job on this, there is going to be a lot of footage to look at.

Visit the Life In A Day page for more information.

3 comments:

  1. I couldn't get this to open yesterday, but today I did. Just watched Part 1, and I thought it was really good, and surprisingly interesting for a bus ride! I liked how smooth and steady it was - don't know how you managed that - and how it made you keep looking out of the window, when normally you'd be distracted by people getting on and off. It was interesting how the bus stops made you focus on whatever random scene was in view at the moment, and made you notice things you might not have noticed otherwise. And it really came across what a green city Sheffield is! Great film-making. Going to watch Part 2 now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked that too, especially when we started to get tantalising glimpses of the bus itself in the plate glass windows. It was strangely moving.
    What was that quiet but repetitive sound, that was about all you could hear? It sounded like a noise the bus was making, but I couldn't quite place it.
    The length of the journey compared to the shortness of the party scene and club scene gave it a layer of meaning, I don't know if you intended this, but as far as A Life in a Day goes, it seemed to show how much effort you have to make to get anywhere, and that this birthday was important enough to you to make that effort. Very good film-making, because it makes you think.
    PS you were standing up on the tram, weren't you? Thought so - you showed us a view that most of us don't see!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! No, none of that was intentional it's simply a by-product of the fact that there's nothing to do on the bus but once your with people there's talking and drinking to do instead! :D

    I believe the random sound on the bus you're on about is the hydraulic breaks.

    ReplyDelete