Friday, July 16, 2010

One Hundred Million Dollars

There has been a story out today from the Wall Street Journal reporting that Starcraft 2 has cost over $100 million to make! I wonder what they've spent it on. Apparently that's only the development cost and does not include advertising expenses. However considering the original has sold over 11 million copies and that players in South Korea play professionally and have fan clubs, I expect the sequel will make a profit! One of the previous highest costing games is Gran Turismo 5 at $60 million, that's a racing game and I presume a lot of that cost went on licensing fees from car companies. I'm still not sure what Blizzard could have spent $100 million on. A lot of staff for a lot of years I guess, but that's a lot of money.

1 comment:

  1. That's an awful lot, isn't it? I guess the graphics work must be very labour-intensive, just like a film, and the graphics of these kinds of games are of comparable quality to films, by the look of it.

    ReplyDelete