Thursday, July 8, 2010

Dragon Age II

It was announced by EA a while back than an unnamed Dragon Age project was in the works. Many people, including me, presumed that would be Dragon Age 2. Today Bioware confirmed that with the first official announcement and the release of some basic details on it's new website. The first thing of note is that they've gone with the name Dragon Age 2 (for now). After Origins and Awakening I sort of expected another sub title.

It's going to be a brand new story set in a different part of Thedas with the player in charge of a new character. I've seen signs on the forum that some people are disappointed that you won't get to continue your old character. Personally I see it differently. If you look at past franchises you see that it's actually not at all typical for that to happen. I think we've been spoiled a bit with how well Mass Effect worked out. I'll agree there are some unfinished story threads I'd like to find out about such as [SPOILER ALERT]Morrigan's Baby[END SPOILER] but I don't feel like that needs to be with the same character.

I've been playing Dragon Age: Origins again this week after the release of the latest DLC campaign, Leliana's Song. That's probably why they decided to announce it now while it's fresh in people's minds again. There are a couple of nice bits of concept art to see and apparently there will be a teaser trailer next month but other than that there's not a lot to know. I'm definitely still looking forward to this one though.

1 comment:

  1. Mmm, great art, that does look good! And I do like your positive attitude to new things. It does seem to be a bit of a trend for people to get grumpy on forums when things come out that are a bit different, but you can always see the positive side and that's good.
    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete