Tuesday, June 14, 2011

For the Lulz?

Big in gaming news over the last couple of weeks has been LulzSec. They're a hacker group the have been up to much mischief recently. I guess they've probably been around for a while under various names but have become more widely known after some high profile hits. The even made the BBC news website after revealing holes in the NHS security system. For the most part, at the last week anyway, they've been hitting gaming related sites. Sometimes they've taken customer data and other times they've just blocked the site with a DDoS attack. They've hit Sony, Nintendo, Epic, Bethesda, Codemasters, PlayStation Universe, Minecraft & League of Legends. They say they're just doing it "for the lulz" and I have to admit some of the comments they've made on Twitter about the incidents have been quite amuzing. For the most part they have not affected anything I'm a major part of, I just had to change my forum password on Epic and Bethesda's forums. Today though they did hit one which affected me more. They launched a DDoS attack on the Eve Online login server and CCP Games responded by taking everything offline until things blow over. It's a dramatic response but it does ensure no damage occurs. It does mean though that no=one gets to play Eve tonight. I wonder how long it will take before they get bored and move on. I suspect a lot of people in the industry (me included) are having a look in to their current security procedures! So I guess it might be a good thing in the end.

1 comment:

  1. I had heard of this! It even made the Daily Telegraph. Hope Eve comes back soon. Btw the DT also had a nice long review of E3 too, but they concentrated on the boring stuff, ie Wii etc.
    It is hard to type Wii. My fingers want to type Will for some reason.

    ReplyDelete