Saturday, June 11, 2011

First Impressions: Duke Nukem Forever

After fourteen years Duke Nukem Forever has finally been released. As I mentioned earlier I pre-ordered the special edition for this and if you didn't already see them on my Twitter feed then here are some pictures from the opening. https://picasaweb.google.com/geniedataservices/20110609


At this point I've played the game for just over an hour. The first thing I'll say is it's not the most super awesome game ever. However after all its troubles I don't think it ever could have been. Maybe if they'd got it out back in 1999 before the first engine change things would have been different. It seems that Gearbox haven't made many improvements after taking over from 3D Realms but simply worked on finishing things off instead. The result is it's already looking a little bit old with graphics you might expect from a 2009 game, especially in the character models.

Perhaps it's partly the nostalgia but for me though it's actually quite fun and that's the most important thing. It's a breath of fresh air in the shooter genre which seems to be full of endless serious war shooters at the moment. Sure it's crude and silly but what's wrong with that? I'm looking forward to playing through to the end and the last time I felt like that about a pure FPS game was with Doom 3, which was seven years ago now!

No comments:

Post a Comment