Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Captain's Quarters

The latest expansion pack for Eve Online has just been released. We now have a feature which has been talked about, suggested and rumored for many years. You can finally get out of your spaceship and walk around. I've been looking forward to this, it certainly enhances the role playing experience. CCP Games are rolling this out in multiple stages to try and make sure nothing goes wrong with such major new features. It started earlier in the year with the updated character creator. Now we get phase 2, the captain's quarters. This is basically just two rooms we can walk around in. A general living area and a balcony overlooking your currently docked ship. It's pretty neat so long as you have the hardware to support it (which I do) but I've seen quite a lot of complaints about performance. This can only get better over time though. For now I shall revel in the fact that for the first time in over two years playing Eve I have legs!


It is a little bit underwhelming though. Once you've got over the initial novelty there's not a lot to explore. No matter what type of station you dock at the captain's quarters are always precisely the same. CCP have said that some racial variations will be released to match the station types, but that won't until the next update in August. Still that will get old quickly too. It won't be until we can go to common area and see other pilots that this will become a major new feature. However I don't expect to see that until at least the winter expansion.


In other news I got an extremely exciting gaming related email last night. I'd post about it but it's supposed to be confidential. I'm not sure about the exact rules of what I am/am not allow to say at the moment. So for now that's all I will say. Exciting though.

No comments:

Post a Comment