Saturday, September 4, 2010

Leliana's Song

One of the DLC stories for Dragon Age, Leliana's Song puts you in direct control of the character rather than having her as a companion and tells the tale of part of her back story. I decided that for my Bioware month I should start by playing some of the things I'd not got around to yet before the new downloads are released on the 7th. I've been playing Leliana's Song for the last couple of days and finished it this afternoon. I was a little surprised by quite how short it was, but for 560 Bioware points (which works out at £4.33) it's still good value and I'm not complaining. On my very first playthrough of the main Origins story I completely neglected Leliana as a companion. It's pretty much impossible to deal with everyone in one playthrough and on the first time through I always find myself loyal to the people I meet first, Alistair, Morrigan & the dog in that case. On the second playthrough though she become much more important. While exploring what options I'd missed the first time around I discovered that of the romance options in the game Leliana was the one willing to engage in a lesbian relationship, she was a perfect match for the Mage I was playing at the time. As Leliana is a bard the narrative of Leliana's Song is played out like she's telling you the tale after the fact and because of that the game play jumps through in 'scenes' rather than the usual open world. It gives a different feel which is good and makes it more than 'just another quest'. I'm not sure I'd want to play a full game like that (too linear) but it works well here. Overall I'd recommend it if you're looking for a few more hours of Dragon Age entertainment. Next up, The Darkspawn Chronicles.

1 comment:

  1. It amazes me, the thought that goes into these games, with their characters and back stories. People who think computer games are all mindless should be made to read your blog!
    It seems that the player can engage with and care about the characters just as much as any characters in a book.
    As always, your blog is an interesting read.

    ReplyDelete