Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Island Cops & Mysterious Mystery

New TV has started and House and Castle are back, yay! In addition to that I discovered two new shows which might be interesting that I hadn't been following in advance. The first is the new version of Hawaii Five-0. I don't actually remember ever seeing an episode of the original series but I was of course aware of it. I saw that the new version was being run by writers Alex Kurtzman & Roberto Orci (of Fringe & Star Trek fame) and the actors involved included Daniel Dae Kim, Grace Park, Masi Oka & James Marsters. With that I had to give at least a few episodes a try. The first was actually pretty good and I'll be tuning in again next week. The other new show was The Event. The fact that it had 'science fiction' in the description is what first drew me to this. It's not future sci-fi it's more like X-Files or Fringe, set in the present with weird things going on. The show is obviously trying to fill the hole left by Lost by being very heavy with the mystery/confusion elements, sometimes a bit too much. There's a lot of gender/plot neutral pronouns being used, The Event, Them, The Prisoners. It doesn't always sound very natural, the characters wouldn't speak like that, except to hide things from the audience. Also they messed with the timeline a lot for seemingly no real reason. There's no end of 'three days earlier', 'four hours earlier', thirteen months earlier' back and forth while switching perspective between different characters at the same time. Again this feels more like a deliberate attempt to confuse the audience rather than a legitimate storytelling technique. I did like some the story and so I'll stick around for a few more episodes. The first episode is always a tricky one to judge but I am worried it's just going to end up disappointing like last year's FlashForward.

No comments:

Post a Comment