Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Lacuna Coil

Lacuna Coil put on a great show last night, sound & lighting all good and the band appeared to be on top form. However I was slightly baffled by the audience response. It seemed to me that there was a complete lack of singing and dancing. There was plenty of cheering and applause after each song but it seemed the during the songs the majority of people just wanted to stand and watch. I've never seen a crowd quite like that at a metal gig. For me great music makes you want to move, anything from a tapped foot to a full on mosh and seeing a band live makes it even harder to resist. Perhaps Lacuna Coil aren't thrashy enough for a pit but you don't go from that straight to nothing! A couple of drunk guys did attempt to start a pit at one point but they just got glares from the people in front of them, all very strange. As for the singing I guess it's possible the male part of the audience don't feel right singing along to mostly female led vocals. Personally it doesn't bother me although you do end up having to switch octaves sometimes! Or it could be that they're simply captivated by Cristina Scabbia, probably the most beautiful woman in metal with an amazing voice to match. The band themselves seemed to like the response so I guess it's all normal to them and it was just the least heavy gig I've been to in a while. Still too many kids making poor quality videos on their phones which they'll probably never watch rather than just enjoying the show. I think I might be turning in to one of the weird old guys you see at gigs! Well never mind, I enjoyed it and that's all that matters in the end. I took a few photos as usual but they turned out mostly blurry, see them here.

1 comment:

  1. Very nice review, I enjoyed reading that. Glad you had a good time. Me, I am all in favour of standing still and listening, but then, I really am old, lol - I do see what you mean, it is strange to go from full-on mosh to nothing. But I think the reasons you thought of make a lot of sense.
    And I do agree about the vids - what is the point? Surely it's better just to enjoy the show as it happens, rather than watching it through your phone?
    A few souvenir stills photos, that's different. I liked yours, even if some were a bit blurred, because you got a lovely variety of colours and captured the atmosphere beautifully!

    ReplyDelete