Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Moments of Gaming (July 2011)

This has very much been a non-standard gaming month. It began in the first week with a wide assortment of games all compressed in to a short time for the Steam Summer Camp event. The majority of the remainder of the month was taken by The Old Republic testing, but of course I am not allowed to show you that. Even the act of recording was barred. That ended last week and since then I've picked up my Jade Empire game again. I still had plenty of footage to use but this month cutting it all down to seven minutes seemed harder than usual. I feel like there is more I wish I could have found space for than I have in previous months. The end result is okay, but due to the amount of games you only get a tease of some of them. Also due to the amount of games I've added game labels with the You Tube annotation feature again for the non-gamers out there.

Watch the video here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-hpYVjbmOY

2 comments:

  1. You had a lot of good material there, I'm not surprised it was hard to choose what to include. (And you played all that AS WELL as the Top Secret stuff?!)
    Thanks for including the labels again, that was extremely helpful in this case. I enjoyed this, it was beautifully smooth to watch, the music was pleasant and there were some clever transitions, especially at the end when you went from rockfall to rockfall!
    Jade Empire is particularly enjoyable to watch, the scenery is so nice and you get the feeling that you are watching part of a story. Serious Sam and Garshawp (sp?) had some nice scenery too, though of course the latter did not do much in his nice scenery except kill monsters! One thing that did strike me was that every time I saw a weapon it was being wielded right-handed. This is not fair, is it? Do you ever get an option to choose left-handed? And does it not put the left-handed gamer at a disadvantage (even a tiny one counts when it's so split-second) to be inhabiting a character who is doing everything back to front?

    ReplyDelete
  2. For the most part the handed-ness of a chracter doesn't really matter. You're only pressing buttons and your movements don't minic the character in a way that it matter that much. Add to that the fact the left-handers live in a right-handed world anyway which forces us to adapt. It may not be the same for everybody but personally I use the mouse with my right hand just like you do. I simply have the added benefit that I can switch to the other hand just as easily. With my setup sometimes I even have both hands on a mouse on two computers, but that's probably a bit advanced. There are a few games which let you have left-handed weapons, the Unreal Tournament series comes to mind, but it's really only visual. Where it does matter is with motion controls. Things like Wii Sports Tennis I have to have the Wiimote in my left hand just like I would a racket in real life. But those games all have the necessary settings to do that.

    ReplyDelete