Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Dark of the Moon

I've been meaning to go and see the new Transformers film for about three weeks now but other life stuff kept getting in the way and I repeatedly postponed the trip. Finally I made the time on Monday evening to see it as it's not going to be on for much longer and there are another five films coming within the next month I'd like to see.

The film was much longer than I expected it to be, I was surprised by what time it was when I left the theatre. I never looked at my watch during the film though. It kept my interest and I came out entertained. The film has been getting slammed by critics and yet it currently stands 9th on the list of highest grossing films worldwide. It seems like there is a mismatch here somewhere. I guess that the kind of people who choose the job of film critic just don't overlap with the kind of people the film is aimed at. Although even on some user based sites the average is coming in around 5/10.

It does seem though that most people can agree that the film is a great technical achievement. It is the best example of 3D I have seen since Avatar. Of course it is one of the ones that work well because it was the director's intention to use 3D and it was shot (in part) with 3D cameras, none of this post-conversion rubbish. All the robots are looking good as well, great work from ILM (and others). So while the plot may not be the deepest, the action and visuals are excellent. Michael Bay has become known as a fast paced action director, but that's for a good reason, he is good at it. It has been a while since I last saw the first two films, but I think that this is actually my favourite of the three.

No comments:

Post a Comment