Saturday, August 27, 2011

Let's Kill Hitler

The Doctor is back! In an episode which turned out to be nothing like I expected. With an episode title like that I'm sure a lot of us where expecting more Nazis and adventure than complicated timelines and robots. I suppose that's the point though, to subvert your expectations. I was surprised by how little Hilter actually featured. It was just a random location really. I liked Rory's reaction to it all though. The Doctor and River and the Ponds must have the most complicated timeline ever devised. I'm not even going to try on comment on that any further right now, that's a whole other post. It did seem a little odd to me that there seemed to be very little effort going in to finding Melody. Even though the Doctor left them stranded on a space station at the end of the last episode, all of a sudden Amy and Rory are hapily waiting on Earth for the Doctor to do all the work. Even at the end they left her leave very easily and are straight back to "ok, so what's the next adventure!". I guess it's a resonable way to skip the childhood but it felt a bit quick. Minor niggles after the fact really. I was sweapt along for the ride and enjoyed the episode.

1 comment:

  1. I agree, it takes you along for a very enjoyable ride, but afterwards you start wondering! The more I wonder, the more it does my head in. I suppose Melody's childhood was 'Mel', growing up as her mum's best friend? So they must have found her at some point while she was still a baby? So how can she have been programmed to kill the Doctor if she grew up in Amy's village? And once she's 'River', I can see why she can fly the TARDIS, she was conceived in it, but how come she can regenerate? Agree about Hitler too - 'Let's Kill Hitler' was plastered all over the cover of the Radio Times, but there was not a lot of that going on at all!

    ReplyDelete