Friday, July 29, 2011

Sounds of a Playground Fading

It has been quite a while since I heard any brand new albums. Looking back through my archive the last CD I posted about was The Final Frontier which was Iron Maiden's release, almost a year ago now. I know I have added the Tron: Legacy and Portal 2 soundtracks to my library since them but I can't think of anything else. On checking my CD rack I see there was also a new Children of Bodom at some point as well, I guess I didn't write about that one. Last month three new albums were released that I'd been interested in but I'd been too busy with The Old Republic to notice. I rectified that.

The first is Sounds of a Playground Fading by In Flames. These things tend to vary depending on mood but I would say that In Flames consistently rate as one of my top five bands. The thing is, even though I write reviews for film and TV, for some reason I don't quite feel qualified to do the same with music. I know what I like and what I don't but I always have trouble putting why in to words. I think it's the melodic/death/thrash combo that I like the most about In Flames, quality guitar melodies along with fast and heavy drums. There is plenty of that on this album, so I like it. It's not my favourite or theirs but it is a good one.

1 comment:

  1. Nice to see a music review, I agree it is harder with music to bring all the same elements in as with films and books, but I think you did a good job with this one.
    Hoping that LJ is working again and that this will not get lost like previous posts did.

    ReplyDelete