Friday, July 15, 2011

Miracle Day

Being in the UK I'm not familiar with the history of the Starz Network in the US, but it seems they have recently appeared out of nowhere with a good number of hits. I first heard about them when Spartacus: Blood and Sand started airing. It seemed like they were going after the HBO demographic with a premium cable channel which can get away with far more than a standard channel giving it room to do things differently. I can't think of any other TV series with as much violence and sex as Spartacus. Then came Camelot which although far tamer in the sex & violence department was still definitely adult oriented. Now as a co-production with the BBC they've funded a new season of Torchwood.

There has only been the one episode so far so there isn't a whole lot to talk about yet but what we've seen so far seems like it is going to be interesting. Miracle Day is following the same premise as Children of Earth with the whole series being devoted to a single story, so basically the episode is a lot of setup. There are some quick recaps on who Torchwood are and many explanations of the Miracle Day concept, that for some reason we don't know yet, no one is dying anymore. Also of course we get introduced to lots of new characters as there are not many of the original team left. Esther seems nice, but the other CIA guy (whose name escapes me) was a bit annoying and the bit at the end with him forcing them to go to the US sealed my dislike of him. Jack and Gwen are on form and based on the trailer at the end we've got lots to look forward to.

1 comment:

  1. You just made me glad I did not watch Spartacus because I could not always look during Camelot.
    Another good review! I totally got the flavour of new Torchwood from what you wrote.
    Your new reviews website made me do a lot of thinking today, so I am going to post another comment on yesterday's.

    ReplyDelete