Monday, July 25, 2011

First Impressions: Eschalon - Book 1

This is a role-playing game which is a modern development but with a old style take on the look and the game play. As a fan of games in that style I have been keeping an eye on this and finally bought a copy when it was marked down in the Steam sale. Without a demo available I had been unwilling to pay the full price they were asking for a game I knew so little about. It's got a tile based map and it's got turn-based combat and looks like it came from the late nineties. Still there are a good number of character creation options and the graphics are improved over the originals it is imitating. The retro style is by choice rather than for hardware limitations so the performance is not a problem. I played for about an hour and it seemed like if could be fun. However then my character got killed and I realised I hadn't saved. It's not like a modern game with regular auto saves, so dead is dead. Next time I'll have to start again. That probably won't be right away and the story hadn't really grabbed me yet. I'm sure I'll come back to this one day, but in the mean time there are more important things to do and play.

No comments:

Post a Comment