Sunday, July 10, 2011

First Impressions: Deus Ex

The Steam summer sale is all over now and I've got some great bargains. Also of course I don't have enough time to play them all, they will keep me going for a long time. Especially when you consider I've not played everything I picked up in the last sale yet! One in particular on that list is Deus Ex. I bought a pack containing that game and its sequel in a previous sale. It might not even have been the last one!

Deus Ex is quite an old game now, it was first released in 2000. However it is considered to be a classic and yet it is one I have never played until now. A modern prequel to the games (Deus Ex: Human Revolution) is due out in August, so I decided if I was going to get around to playing these games then now would be the time.

As you would expect from a game which is over ten years old now the graphics look extremely dated. Still it runs smoothly, the controls respond well and most importantly the story and setting are engaging. Which is of course one of the reasons it is considered to be a classic and gives you the power to look past the dated graphics. The cyberpunk setting also helps as that style is a particular favorite of mine. The game is a RPG/FPS hybrid and its biggest draw seems to be the many different ways the game allows you to complete the missions. From dialogue to stealth to frontal assault. I've only played the first couple of missions so far and I can already see how many different options were available. Most games today are seriously linear in comparison. I wonder with all the other things I have on at the moment if there will be time to complete it before the new game arrives. I look forward to trying.

1 comment:

  1. Days are just not long enough, are they? I totally sympathise because I have so many books waiting to be read that I haven't even started yet. And I am spending every evening this week watching Camelot, because I hadn't got round to it, and now I have to watch it or lose it because of new Sky box on Thursday! (Still, it is good getting lots of eps at once.)
    Good luck with fitting everything in!

    ReplyDelete