Monday, May 30, 2011

Transport Tycoon

As much as I love Sim City and Theme Park, my favorite simulation game as always been Transport Tycoon. The concept of the game is pretty simple, run a transportation company and move passengers and goods from place to place. I don't know why exactly but I've always get quite addicted to it. It is many years old now but I still have a copy installed on my computer. Today I learned that a group of fans/programmers have been working on a new open source version of the game which "attempts to mimic the original game as closely as possible while extending it with new features". It's called OpenTTD (TTD being short for Transport Tycoon Deluxe) and you can find it here http://www.openttd.org/. I've been playing it this evening and it's great. It's just like the original Transport Tycoon but with the added features you always wished existed and modern updates like scroll wheel support and widescreen resolutions. I can see many more hours going in to this game for years to come.

1 comment: