Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Thor

I know very little about the actual mythology of Thor. Names such as Thor, Loki, Odin, Heimdall or Asgard are all familiar to me but it's all sourced from fictional interpretations of the myths. Things like Stargate: SG1 where Thor and the Asgard are actually little grey aliens or from computer games like the old RTS Age of Mythology where things are extremely simplified. I know even less about the Marvel version of the character, other than the fact he is one of the Avengers. Of course the film tells you everything you need to know about this version of the story and it does so very well. It looks great and sounds great. For the most part it is well acted and it kept my attention the whole time. It seems to be getting quite a mix of reviews but it's doing well at the box office. I wonder if the power of Kenneth Branagh, Anthony Hopkins, Natalie Portman & Chris Hemsworth is bring people in but then all the dimensions, realms, wormholes, gods and frost giants it a bit much for some people. I was actually surprised how much time was spent in the realm of Asgard rather than on Earth. It's certainly not your typical superhero origin. Me personally though, I enjoyed it a lot and loved all the little nods to other Marvel happenings as things build towards The Avengers.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, this sounds great, I am looking forward to it even more now. They actually have the frost giants in? And all three realms? I am happy that you say a lot of time is spent in Asgard. Needless to say, all my knowledge and interest is from the mythology, not any other sources, and I was a bit worried it would all have been over-simplified and watered down, but from what you say, that's not the case. And I know it looks good, just from seeing the trailer. But you know, you probably have heard far more of these stories than you think, only it was Amon Amarth singing about them, and you probably couldn't make the words out, lol.

    ReplyDelete