Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Editing Choices

So far this month's Moments of Gaming has had quite a lot of views. It's not the most viewed episode yet, but the if current rate keeps up it will be by tomorrow. It too soon for the You Tube stats to have generated so I can see where the hits are coming from, but I'm guessing it's coming up in searches for Starcraft 2 as that's only a week old and still a hot topic in gaming circles.

One thing I decided to avoid this month was the 'character spin' shot. That's something I'd used more than once in all my previous videos, where I'd leave the player character in one spot and rotate the camera around them for a view of the scenery. When you're dealing games using a third person perspective with the camera always pointing the the character it can be hard to avoid. However I didn't want it to become 'my thing' so although I had recorded a few of those month I decided I wouldn't use them. I had plenty of other footage to use and I think it turned out well.

The music I chose this month started off quite a slow and quiet so I tried to mimic the build up in the visuals as well. I don't know if it's noticeable but the length of shots and the level of action in the shots is sort of building up along with the music. That means that nothing (other than a TV) gets killed until the 3:30 mark.

One first for this month, there was actually one game I had footage from but decided to leave out completely. The game was Wolfenstein 3D. The huge age difference between that and the other games makes it very different visually and as such it stands out a bit too much. Also I didn't have a lot of footage from the game so I decided it was best to just leave it out.

Thanks for watching, if all goes to plan I'll be playing some multi player Starcraft 2 with humans rather than AI this evening which I will of course record for August's MOG!

1 comment:

  1. I didn't notice the length of shots and action building up with the music. :( Sorry. But now you mention it, I can see it. But I am not typical viewer and am probably too busy going, Ooh, look at that, and Crumbs, what's that, and working out which game is which.
    I liked the archer, and the outdoor scenes best, and the bit where the little dustbins flew off in a teacup with a blue flashing light on top.
    Great fun, thanks!

    ReplyDelete