Sunday, April 11, 2010

Top Ten RPGs

Trying to decide which was better between Mass Effect 1 and 2 made me start thinking about RPG ranking in general. So I decided to create a top ten. RPGs are the type of game I seem to play most these days and I have a huge amount of experience in them. I'll do the list in the traditional reverse format even though the top ones will probably be obvious. Also I'd like to give a shout out to Bioware, creators of five of my top ten RPGs, undoubtedly kings of the genre. For this list I consider expansion packs to be part of the original game so they don't get separate entries.

10. Diablo 2
This is the oldest game on the list. It's also probably the least story based and much more about the hack and slash. Still it's a great game which I've spent many hours on in the past, a lot of which were LAN multi player. I also replayed it more recently after Diablo 3 was announced and it can still hold it's own against the more modern games.



9. The Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind
I've not checked but I suspect that this game has one of the biggest explorable worlds in RPG history. From the moment you step off the ship on to the island of Vvardenfell you're free to choose what to do and where to go. So you set off in your chosen direction then later check your map, it's at this point you realise "wow! this place is huge!". Now if the damn Cliff Racers would just leave me alone!

8. Neverwinter Nights 2
I've never been particularly knowledgeable about the Forgotten Realms. I've done role playing in the past but never actual D&D. My first introduction to the world was the original Neverwinter Nights (I didn't play Baldur's Gate until later). The sequel along with it's expansions are very nice games so long as you have the hardware to run them due to demanding system requirements. A generally interesting story with varied locations but a bit too linear at times.

7. The Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion
While the game world in Oblivion is not a big as the one in Morrowind, it's packed with a lot more detail and looks absolutely stunning (screenshots). At times it's fun just to simply walk around. The Oblivion gates can be a bit annoying sometimes unnecessarily side tracking you, but once you learn you can blitz them it's not too bad. Not quite up to the Bioware level of storytelling but the Bethesda guys come a close second.

6. Knights of the Old Republic
I already talked about this one once on this blog having replayed it recently. It's an almost perfect recreation of the Star Wars universe. Various planets to visit, fun & interesting companions and light saber battles combined with great graphics and a good story. I don't usually play a lot of MMOs but when The Old Republic is released I'll be there on day one. Although part of me still wishes they'd do KOTOR3 instead.

5. Neverwinter Nights
As I already mentioned this was my first introduction to the Forgotten Realms. I've played many hours of this game with the different roles and classes. I even did some modding for it. I also now own the D&D 3.5 source books as a reference for modding this and NWN2. A great game for it's time but it's beginning to show it's age now.



4. Fallout 3
There are not enough good non-fantasy RPGs in my opinion but Fallout 3 is one great example. I'd not heard of the Fallout series until the first trailer for Fallout 3 was released. I thought it looked very interesting so I bought and played Fallout 1 & 2 right away. I was hooked from the start. Fallout 1 was the best of the two but it's first impressions that count. I've still only played though Fallout 3 the once but it's a huge game that takes a long time. Based on the same engine as Oblivion this is another one which looks awesome (screenshots). The whole concept of a post-apocalyptic fifties is a brilliant setting. Now I just have to wait for Fallout: New Vegas.

3. Dragon Age: Origins
Dragon Age is completely new IP but it's one I expect is going to be with us for a long time. Bioware have taken all the best elements of other games (many of which are their own) and managed to put them all together in one place while keeping it all balanced. Graphics, game play, story, characters, I don't really have anything bad to say about them at all. The one thing that keeps this game off the top spot is it's yet another fantasy RPG. Which means the top spots go to...

2. Mass Effect 2
I talked a lot about this one yesterday but I'll cover the basics again. This is probably the best looking game I've ever played (screenshots) though you have to take into account that it's also one of the most recent. The one thing that isn't an improvement on it's predecessor is the story, which didn't feel quite as coherent.




1. Mass Effect
When Mass Effect came out it had many innovations and was a brand new non-fantasy setting. It was everything I was looking for. The 7 month wait for the PC version due to the Xbox360 exclusive was a bit annoying, but at least that trend seems to have stopped now. You got to be commander of a starship visiting planets and shooting up aliens. The graphics were great though less impressive now compared to Mass Effect 2. The new conversation system was inspired and had excellent voice acting to go with it. It had real-time combat system which was intuitive but not too simple and an excellent range of powers and weapons. Memorable characters and an involving story helped to immerse you in this new and rich universe. Salarians, Asari, Turians and many other aliens all with their own culture and back story, there's a lot of information. As Bioware say they have a trilogy planned I suspect over time that these games will start to be considered as one and when people replay them in ten years time they'll play all three together as a single story.

1 comment:

  1. Very, very interesting indeed - thank you, this was like a window into another world. Which is quite a good metaphor for RPGs as far as I can make out, because you don't just look through the window but climb through it and enter a new world.

    ReplyDelete