Saturday, April 10, 2010

Mass Effect 2

I played though Mass Effect 2 once before already but that was before I'd started writing this blog. With the recent release of some new some new downloadable content I decided it was time for a second go. The ability to import your character from Mass Effect 1 is probably one of the best RPG sequel implementations I've ever seen. Many decisions and achievements from the original game carry over but then though a story mechanic you're reduced back to level one but in a continuing universe. It probably took a fair amount of planning to do, even more considering Mass Effect 3 is on the way, but I really appreciate that the effort was made. It helps increase the immersion in the universe.

My first play though followed the full paragon path, so this time I'm playing with my full renegade Shepherd. In some games I don't have as much fun playing the "evil" path. I always feel bad when I'm mean and nasty to people. I suppose I'm projecting myself into the character too much rather than playing the role. However in Mass Effect the paragon/renegade system works much better than a straight good/evil one. It's all far less black and white decision making and so the alternate path I personally find much more enjoyable, much more than Knights of the Old Republic for example where I always prefer to play light rather than dark. Really there's more than just two ways to play but this should give you the basic idea.

The big question is, is it better than Mass Effect 1? That's a really tough choice. Overall I have to say I think not. The graphics are a huge improvement, Unreal Engine 3 does wonders for the Mass Effect universe. The game play is improved along with the controls and interface. The one exception being the addition of ammo which was not necessary. It also suffers a little (on PC) for the fact it's obviously been designed with consoles in mind first and PCs second. It's a shame but the biggest problems are with the story. While still good it's not as great as the first. This one feels much more disjointed, like lots of smaller unrelated stories rather than one grand tale. It's a close call but all that gives Mass Effect 1 the edge over 2.

1 comment:

  1. Isn't projecting yourself into the character part of the fun, though? If you just play a role, you're one step removed from the experience, I'd have thought.
    Anyway, you are far too nice to enjoy being mean, so it's a very good thing that a renegade is not such a black-and-white thing. That sounds more realistic, anyway - not many people are completely bad or completely good all the time, are they?

    ReplyDelete