Friday, April 9, 2010

Primer

While writing about Jennifer's Body I said I don't often buy DVDs without having seen the film first, which is usually true but right after I bought two more. This time some new sci-fi was calling, Primer and Moon. I first heard about Primer in this xkcd strip of all places. Primer is an extremely low budget indie sci-fi film which is one of the best I've seen in ages. It's an intelligent film that's heavy on the science side of things like The Andromedra Strain while also being a huge puzzle like Momento. There's a press quote on the back of the case which says "I immediately felt the desire to watch it again", I know that feeling. There's far more here than could ever be picked up in a single viewing, I'm still not sure I know exactly what happened. I'm not going to mention any of the details as I believe anyone that does watch the film should know as little as possible about it beforehand in order to get the best experiance. Writer/Director/Actor Shane Carruth will definitely be someone to watch in the future. Although a genius first film such as this can be a tough act to follow I'm sure his future projects will be great in some way.

2 comments:

  1. This sounds very interesting, I think it would be a good one to bring, next time you come here (which I understand might be quite soon!)
    Looking forward to seeing you.
    Oh, but hang on - it's probably a Blu-ray disk, isn't it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No this one's actually a normal DVD.

    ReplyDelete