Thursday, March 3, 2011

Paul

How could someone like me not go and see a film about two sci-fi geeks whose pilgrimage takes them to America's UFO heartland where they meet a real alien. Add to that the fact that the two geeks in question are played by Simon Pegg and Nick Frost brings it up to "must see" level for me. I was not disappointed, but comedy is a strange thing. I enjoy various comedy films but it takes something very particular to make me actually laugh out loud, but Paul managed it a few times. I guess the biggest reason against laughter is nerdy self-consciousness, but I suppose when that's who the main characters of the film are it's easier to put yourself in their shoes.

The CGI for Paul was not exceptional but was perfectly adequate. I think because the brain knows what you're looking at doesn't actually exist helps you to ignore any instances where things are not quite photo-real. After saying saying in my Green Hornet review that I'd not seen much of Seth Rogen now within three months I've seen him twice, although technically it was only his voice this time. He seemed to do a good job injecting some life in to a CG character.

Probably the best part of a film like this would be the many references and in-jokes from other films. There are of course the obvious nods to ET and Close Encounters but the audience I was with seemed to miss the Star Wars and Alien references and I'd bet many people younger than me have never even heard of Mac and Me.

Recommended for any sci-fi nerd, probably a bit less so for anyone else but should still be entertaining.

1 comment:

  1. I was thinking that you would see this! Matt saw it too recently and liked it, and we were saying that you have to get the jokes and references, which was why I loved Hot Fuzz and he didn't, and vice versa with the Zombie one. I bet you didn't miss a thing in Paul, and by the sound of it, I'd get quite a few too - they seem to have picked fairly mainstream Sci-Fi to reference. (Btw I am very happy for all the nerds that Inception did win some Oscars, and I am looking forward to seeing that more than to The King's Speech.) Another great review!

    ReplyDelete