Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Moments of Gaming (February 2011)

For a while I wasn't sure what music to use this month but then I noticed that there was a brand new album out by PeerGynt Lobogris. Of all the composers I've sampled while making these videos I think he is my favorite. I've used his work twice before, one video has two tracks of his solo work (September 2010) and another uses a track from a band which he was part of (January 2011). There are other people whose work I've used more than once before but PeerGynt Lobogris now holds the record for most used. It seems that he's quite a well known name in the area of creative commons music. My September 2010 video (the Bioware one) still gets views from people searching his name rather than for any of the featured games.

For February I didn't actually do a lot of gaming so I was a bit short on footage. Most of the game play this month is from the Dragon Age 2 demo, along with a dash of Civ 5, some Droplitz and a bit of Wolfenstein 3D. That does mean that I can linger on shots for longer so I can get more use out of the footage.

Now the video has uploaded it seems I've been hit with a copyright claim again. This time the claim is from EA. If EA are making claims now then I doubt I'll be able to do this for much longer as they're the biggest publishers of games at the moment. Still I suspect the claim is based on the end of the video. Although it is played at the end of the Dragon Age 2 demo it is just a copy of the official trailer. I must remember to stick to game play in the future and avoid and fixed video like that. At least this time they have not blocked distribution in any way. Although nothing shows up for me, it probably means that when you watch there will be an advert in the top right, so that's not too bad really.

Watch the video here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKAlFrPW6U8

1 comment:

  1. I didn't notice an advert showing, it all looked good, nice big screen. I'm surprised they fuss about copyright for this, you'd think they would see it as good advertising, wouldn't you?
    I see what you mean about the music, it's very versatile. It changes mood without changing character, it varies its pace, but not too much, it seems perfect for this purpose, so well done to Peergynt for sharing his stuff so generously. I thought you matched your scenes to the music very well. Genghis Khan fading into that peaceful middle-eastern type courtyard was a particularly striking moment when the music and images were just perfect. Lots of blood in Dragon Age, very hard fighting going on there, but a very cool dragon, who I guess is on no-one's side but his own. Dragons are like that. I thought it was quite nice that the shots were a bit longer this time, due to lack of footage, it gave the whole thing something of a more relaxed feel. Well done you, that was good!

    ReplyDelete