Thursday, March 17, 2011

Boss Fights

Based on my schedule over the last couple of months tonight should have been a cinema night. However there wasn't really anything on this week that I fancied. There's Battle: LA but that's still a bit new, I like to wait for them to quieten down. So I thought that maybe I'd watch one of the DVDs that I got waiting. Of course what actually happened was I kept working until late and then played more Dragon Age 2. Which brings me to the subject of the post, boss fights. They are a feature of nearly every game you could think of, especially FPS and RPGs. You get to a pivotal point in the plot and you end up in a duel with an overpowered evil dude who is really difficult to beat. Maybe I suck but I nearly always find these very frustrating. I never seem to be prepared enough. It might be that I've not upgraded my armour or weapons recently or perhaps I've simply not got enough health potions yet and it's often at a point where turning back and nipping to the shop it not an option. It always takes multiple attempts to get it right with the precise amount of attacks, along with a good bit of luck. It's actually one of the biggest reasons for me not completing some games. You get to a particularly difficult part and fail so many times that it stops being fun. So you quit and do something else then end up not going back for months. What's really odd is that often when you return months later you'll breeze though it on your first attempt and wonder why you had a problem in the first place. As you may have guessed I've just reached one of these points in Dragon Age 2 having died twice just before writing this post. I've not given up yet, I'll go back shortly, I just stopped to write this. Now time to put the kettle on and then have another go.

1 comment:

  1. I hope you are feeling better today. Maybe your cold is why the evil dude managed to kill you? You are not at 100%.
    I can well understand why it gets frustrating and stops being fun, when this thing happens so often in games. (It's weird that it should be easy when you return to the game later, though.)
    Maybe a dvd would have been a better option, after all!
    It looks like I won't be going to the cinema this week, either. Cineworld are only showing The Eagle on Wed and Thu at times when I can't go because of my work. So after looking forward to it for so long, it's not going to happen. Sad. (But don't you go wasting your time downloading it for me - you have far too much to do, and I can wait for the Sky Box Office, that comes out before the dvd usually, I think.) Get well soon xxx

    ReplyDelete